Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Anna's A-List

In no particular order...

1. France: In September Justin and I went to Couzou, a tiny town in southwestern France, for a week and a half. We stayed in a house that belongs to Justin’s friend, Thomas. We took hikes, cooked a lot, ate tons of pate and pastries, drank our fair share of wine, ate plums and blackberries right off the tree/bush. We slept 10 hours a night, the only sound being sheep bells in the distance. We danced to disco at the annual fete. I even had to brush off my French and communicate with the locals. It was an awesome trip.

2. Snails: While in France, I fell in love with snails. Yes, they are tasty to eat, but they are also pretty entertaining to hang out with.

3. Travel: We also took trips to Southern Utah, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Austin, Virginia, Florida, and Spokane this year—certainly more travel than I’ve ever done in one year before. Each time I was reminded how sucky the actual travel part is (is there such a thing as an on-time flight any more?), but boy is it nice to get out of the city from time to time.

4. Right back atcha, Adit: In September, Justin and I moved in together, into the apartment beneath the one I shared with Amy and Adit. Yeah, they were good roommates, but they’re even better neighbors! J and I love having our own (catless) place. I love having an extra room I can use as a studio. I love not having to pay for an extra storage space, and even got rid of a bunch of shit in the process. And thanks to Justin, Amy, Adit, and Gillam, I didn’t even have to move my own stuff out of storage because I was sick. Bonus!

5. Etsy: Etsy is a website where people sell handmade stuff. I started selling scarves there this year. I have also bought lots of gifts from Etsy. It is a wonderful thing.

6. Freelance: 2007 was my first full year as a freelancer, and man is it THE LIFE. No longer am I an uptight insomniac stresscase. The time I used to waste in pointless meetings or bitching with coworkers, is now MY time that I can spend sewing, or reading, or collaborating with friends, or just chilling the fuck out. Sure, I have to pay my own taxes, and health insurance is infuriatingly expensive, but holy shit is it worth it. Yay freedom!

7. Sam’s visit: My little sister, Samantha (aka The Littler Raddatz), came to NYC for spring break. We did all the normal sisterly things together: shopping, brunch, beer pong... She’s all growed up!

8. Pacific Standard: Friends John and Jon opened their bar this year, around the corner from out apartment. It’s a cool place, quite conveniently located, and it’s nice to hang out in a bar where you always know people. But mainly I feel I have to mention it because we spend so much freaking time there!

9. The beach: This seems to be a recurring theme here, but we also spent several days at the beach this summer. While my white ass basically has to stay under an umbrella the whole time, Coney Island/Brighton Beach charmed us with 1. Possibly the most diverse people watching on the planet, 2. Surprisingly quick and easy access by train, 3. A wild selection of mystery foods (bread flavored soda?), and 4. A sand sculpture of a couple doing 69 being admired by a 4 year old. Here is a picture of a man with a snake and some parrots.

10. New camera: Justin gave me a new digital camera for Christmas, which I desperately needed. It’s a Canon Elph, and it is a sweet little brick of awesomeness.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you anna. without you, this reads like a sports blog. a sblog. slog. spog.

Ace said...

Hey Anna,

Is Pacific Standard a good pub to have a birthday party at on a Saturday night? Or does it get too crowded because of its superiority to every place else?

Ace

Harry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Harry said...

Where is the picture of the sand sculpture of the couple 69'ing? Inquiring minds want to know.

Anna said...

Ace, yes it gets crowded, but it is still a good place for birthdays. Just make sure it's not a night with CA college football.

I'm sorry I let you down, Harry. Didn't have my camera, kicked myself. I guess you just had to be there to experience the magic.