Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Seltzer's Top Ten of 2007

No order here either.

The Landlord.
Cuz Dick-in-a-Box was '06!



My Website.
Thank god my doppelganger, the Rebecca Seltzer of Baltimore, MD (I'm on to you, sweetie), didn't snatch up this URL before me. I finally got my act together and put some work up on the webernet.

Trip to Berlin and Helsinki.
Traveling alone is something I had never before done. Anonymity is refreshing condition. As is paying 160 euros/month for a room in a HUGE apt. in East Berlin. I rented a bike and found all sorts of cool places. By cool I mean abandoned!



Sunsets in My Room.
Pretty....


Absurdistan
.
Written by this guy, Mister Hilarity himself, Gary Shteyngart. I implore you to drudge up a character in the history of 'lit-ra-ture' like Misha Vainberg. Mischa is a fat, fleshy Russian man who gorges himself on rap music, psychoanalysis, and top-shelf liquor. He's in love with Rouenna, a black girl from the Bronx, whom he met while living in NY. This is a girl who, while touring Post-Soviet Russia with Mischa, asks: "where the niggaz at?" The book is propelled by Mischa's desire to get the hell out of the Eastern Block and back to Rouenna and the U.S.A. I'm telling you: this is a very clever, and hugely entertaining story, with the most grotesque adult-circumcision scene ever to hit the shelves of Barnes and Noble.

Longford.
This is an HBO made-for-tv-film that is rentable. It is based on the true story of Myra Hindley, who with her lover, Ian Bradey, tortured and killed five children in Britain during the 60's. Lord Longford, a labor minister and noted social reformer, decides to campaign for Myra's release after meeting her. The movie is riveting, Samantha Morton especially. The relationship between Longford and Hindley is a notorious one in Britain's history. Perhaps in the same way that Dick and Perry and their slaying of a Kansas family is known in the US from In Cold Blood.



Rediscovering the Hammock.
It's a swing, it's a bed, it's swed!


Music I Obsessed About and Played Into the Ground.
  • 100 Days, 100 Nights, Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
  • The In Crowd: The Story of Northern Soul, Various
  • The Scene of the Crime, Bettye LaVette
  • Piano Concerto No. 3 In D Minor, Sergei Rachmaninov (never knew I liked him)
  • In Case We Die, Architecture in Helsinki
  • Food & Liquor, Lupe Fiasco
  • Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, Spoon
  • Set Yourself On Fire, Stars
  • Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan
  • Tone Soul Evolution, The Apples in Stereo
  • The Fallen Angels Live 1973, Gram Parsons

Nimrod Nation, Season 1.
I downloaded the first season of this show and it made me strangely homesick for the Midwest but in a way that keeps me firmly planted in NY; a sickening sort of nostalgia. It's a documentary series about Watersmeet, Michigan, a tiny town obsessed with high school basketball. The team, and it's chance to make State, is the only current running through town. Think Friday Night Lights with snow instead of sweat, Native Americans instead of Blacks, and documentary footage instead of fictionalizing. Why should you watch? For the unintentional humor, the accents, and the father-coaching-son-on-basketball-team drama.

50 Books/50 Covers.
A juried exhibit at the AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Arts) featuring a range of awesome book covers and interiors.

No comments: